Before the invention of synthetically made drugs, medicinal plants were the only forms of healing and treatment for the ill and injured. Till date, Ayurveda is still an effective form of treatment which uses medicinal plants as the means of treatment. There hundreds of medicinal plants that can be found all around the world. Seven most popular of them are listed below-
- Ginger– Apart from the rich taste it serves when paired with garlic in your food, ginger has several health benefits too. It is best known for its anti-bacterial and anti-nausea, but its lesser-known benefits are that it also has anti-viral, anti-oxidant and anti-parasitic properties. Ginger is highly used in Indian household for the treatment of cold and cough. It is usually boiled with tea or water and is consumed, relieving the throat and nose of the cold. Along with these, ginger is also used as pain-reliever, shows cancer-fighting signs, and is good for the liver.
- Peppermint– Peppermint has properties which benefit the respiratory system such as treatment for cold, cough and acts as prevention factor for other serious respiratory problems, along with freshening of your breath. Apart from this, peppermint also helps free the muscles of intestines and help pass gas freely, preventing acidity and abdominal pain.
- Chamomile– Chamomile is taken in the form of tea, popularly. It helps relieve upset stomach and also helps get a good night’s sleep. Its lesser known benefits are it also can treat swelling on the skin, anti-bacterial, anti-spasmodic, muscle relaxant and has sedative properties.
- Dandelion– Traditionally used as liver tonic, the flower plant is useful for detoxication, and can be used to treat liver and kidney disorders. It also has the power to reduce the side-effects of synthetic pharmaceutical drugs and can treat infections, gall bladder disorders.
- Marijuana– A highly controversial plant, also abused as a drug, marijuana has surprisingly a lot of health benefits. The two components THC and CBD help resolve mental illness such as schizophrenia, fits, insomnia. It is also proven that it can be used as prevention for cancer.
- Neem– Native to the Indian sub-continent, the neem tree and products made from it have several health benefits. It has the potential of being anti-bacterial, treats skin problems like dandruff and acne, improves gastric health, prevents chronic diseases, and detoxifies the body. It also inhibits fungal infection and can be used to treat malaria and chicken pox owing to its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
- Tulsi– Also called as the holy basil, the tulsi plant helps treat anti-bacterial diseases, acne, and unbalanced blood sugar and is believed to be a natural remedy for anxiety. It also balances hormones and helps in the reduction of stress. The tulsi plant has anti-cancerous properties and can help prevent it.